Thursday, December 8, 2011

I Think I May Have Figured It Out!

What  have I figured out?  To start it off, my back is once again giving me troubles.  With this occurrence I had decided that it was probably due to the fact that I had been reading a book about getting better at running.  I have been wanting to run a half marathon for 3 years now.  Every time I get serious about it, i start having back troubles.  I seem to always start getting serious about it in December.  I figure that gives me almost 5 months to prepare for OKC's memorial marathon.  Maybe God is trying to tell me it ain't gonna happen?  I'm not sure about that, so there has to be another explanation.  Mental, no.  Well, I can be mental, but I don't think that is it either.  Remembering that I had blogged about it, I looked back at my two blogs to see what was going on in my life around that time.  It's the oak trees.  Huh?  Well, to be more precise, it is all the leaves that they drop and that need to be raked.  Twisting and bending has always been harder on my back than lifting.  I grew up with a dad that endured 3 back surgeries and proper lifting techniques were always emphasised in our house.  Now picking up a sock is much more likely to get me than picking up a loaded barbell. 

So, what can I do about it?  I'm not sure.  So I am experimenting.  (I do think I will give up leaf raking.)  I've had a few massages these past two weeks.  I went and bought a beginners yoga video.  Just watching it made me hurt.  And yes, I just watched it.  After that, I did one of the poses just to see how bad I have gotten.  (I don't think I have ever been so inflexible.)  I am hanging upside down on an Orthopod.  It is like an inversion table but you are only hanging upside down from your waist. Sitting makes my back hurt, but I get tired of standing all the time.

I may have to stop basketball for the next month, but we are also going snowboarding in a month.  I think I would rather break my wrist again than spend time on the laundry room floor again!  Maybe not.  I won't be testing that theory either way I hope.  So far, being 40 has sucked,except for not having to pay for my lift tickets.  Hopefully 41 is going to be better!  Still aiming for a half marathon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment