Thursday, April 22, 2010

Beautiful Weather

For the past few days we have had some beautiful spring weather here in Oklahoma.  That is sometimes a touch-and-go situation.  We are in tornado alley after all!  I have taken full advantage of that to get the garden put in and besides a few spaghetti squash, I am finished!  Good thing too, we may get storms for the next couple of days.  We will put hay over it later to help with weeds and water retainment, but I hope to do very little to the garden for the rest of the summer.  All I want to do is water and harvest.



Tomatoes


Peppers and Eggplant

                                                                                                                                                             Elijah has been helping with the garden.  Mostly he is my gofer (not my gopher, hopefully we will have none of those!).  He does help to water and spread the hay, plant seeds and seedlings.  Of course, he is a little boy, so he would rather dig for grubs to feed to the chickens and ducks.  And man do his feet get nasty!


At least he washed his hands!

I use the garden to teach him as well.  He has a lot of questions for one thing.  "Why does okra grow so tall?"
"Why are we putting hay on the garden?"  "Why can't I cut the earthworm in half to make two?"  One thing the garden is not when he is around is peaceful!  But I love the time spent with him.  We used to do that with Tabitha when she was little.  Now she's about to graduate from high school and she may be gone to college next fall.  I'll take all the unpeaceful gardening I can get, while I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment